Mulligatawny Soup by The Clean Tribe
- 3 Tbs of Mr Fitzpatrick's Ginger cordial
- 1/4 cup of coconut oil
- 1 brown onion, chopped
- 1 carrot diced
- 1 can of tomatoes
- 1 red chilli
- 2 small apples, peeled, cored and diced.
- 3 cloves of minced garlic
- 1 Tbs curry powder
- 1/2 Tsp of ground cumin
- 1/2 Tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 Tsp dried thyme
- 1/2 Tsp of turmeric
- 1/4 Tsp ground cardamon
- 1/2 cup of red lentils
- 3/4 cup of coconut milk
- 3 cups of vegetable broth
- Tbs of Tamarind paste (juice of 1/2 a lemon is an acceptable replacement)
- * 1/2 Tsp of salt
- * 1/4 Tsp of black pepper
- Melt the coconut oil in a large heavy bottomed saucepan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, carrot, and chilli, then saute for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onions have softened, but not coloured.
- Add the garlic, ginger cordial, apples, and tomatoes to the pot. Cook for 3 minutes, then add in all of the spices and toss to coat.
- Add in the lentils and broth and let the contents come to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium-low and simmer uncovered for 30 minutes.
- Let cool slightly then puree about 50% of the ingredients using a hand blender, or by transferring a portion of the contents to the pan to a standard blender. This leaves some of the chunks whole, adding a nice texture and consistency to the soup.
- Return the soup to the pot if needed, then stir in the coconut milk. Taste, and adjust seasoning if needed.
- Serve topped with a swirl of coconut milk, cashews and coriander.
Recipe creation and photography by thecleantribe
Submit your review