Festive Poached Pears
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 large piece of orange peel
- 6 whole cloves
- 1 stick cinnamon
- 1 star anise
- 2 cups of Merlot
- ½ cup orange or clementine juice
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp Mr Fitzpatrick’s spiced plum and pear cordial
- ½ cup blackberries
- 3 - 6 medium sized pears
1. Place all the ingredients, except the pears in a saucepan. Make sure the saucepan is large enough for the pears to fit snugly in there.
2. Bring to a simmer while stirring to dissolve the sugar.
3. Peal the pears and gently place them into the poaching liquid.
4. Let the pears poach in the liquid on medium-low heat for 25 minutes, turning the pears every 5 minutes to ensure they poach evenly on all sides, including the tops.
5. When the pears have been poached, keep them upright in the poaching liquid, and remove the saucepan from the heat and allow the pears to cool down slightly in the poaching liquid.
6. Remove the pears and strain the poaching liquor, returning to the heat for a few minutes until the liquid starts to thicken slightly.
7. Serve the pears, pouring a little syrup over each individual one.
Recipe creation & photography by The Clean Tribe
Submit your review