Decadent Dairy Free Fudge
- 450g light brown sugar
- 250g carton oat cream, or another dairy-free cream substitute, such as coconut cream
- 150ml oat milk
- 50g vegan margarine
- 1 tbsp glucose syrup
- 1.5 Tbsp Mr Fitzpatrick’s Spiced Plum and Pear cordial
- 200g Dark chocolate
- Pinch of salt
1. Line an 18 x 18cm tin with baking parchment. Tip the sugar, oat cream, milk, margarine and glucose syrup into a large saucepan. Heat to dissolve the sugar and melt the margarine, stirring now and again.
2. Once dissolved, increase the heat and bring the syrup to a steady boil. Keep bubbling, stirring occasionally to stop the sugar from catching, until the mixture reaches the soft ball stage. (116c if your using a sugar thermometer, or the mixture should form a “soft ball” when dropped into cold water”).
3. Remove the pan from the heat and leave to sit, undisturbed, for 5 mins, until the temperature drops. Stir in the cordial and a good pinch of salt.
4. Begin beating the mixture vigorously with a wooden spoon until the temperature cools. By this time the fudge will be thick and will have lost it glossy shine (think stiff peanut butter). This process is very important when making fudge, as it creates small sugar crystals, which give the fudge its lovely smooth and creamy texture.
5. Before it sets completely, quickly pour the fudge into your prepared tin and smooth over the surface.
6. Melt the dark chocolate and pour over the top of the fudge, spread out evenly and leave to cool at room temperature overnight – don’t put the fudge in the fridge as it will become sticky and won’t set properly. Cut into bite-sized pieces.
Submit your review